Dear CWC Parents,
I have recently taken over as the President of the Cavalier Wrestling Club (from Josh Walker who has moved his family to PA) and I am very excited to continue to improve and build the CWC to provide the best scholastic wrestling experience for our kids. One of my goals is the maintain the foundation of excellent instruction that fosters interest/excitement about youth wrestling while also enhancing the opportunity for competition (via duals, team representation at tournaments, etc) for our more experienced wrestlers.
I wanted to give you some tidbits on some of the exciting things happening in the CWC.
- Annual CWC Golf Tournament: Sat 20 Aug 2016 at Old Trail Golf Club. This event is one of our primary fund raising events for the CWC. Increased engagement by CWC youth club parents will enable us to enhance the experience for your kids (ie more gear, competitions, etc). Please come and join us for a great day of golfing where you will be able to rub elbows with UVA Wrestlers Coaches, NCAA Champs, USA World Team members. This year we are going to be offering some activities for the kids; a golf lesson and putting competition with the UVA wresters/staff (more details to follow). We hope that you are able to join us but if not please consider sponsoring/donating to the event!! Also please invite friend/colleagues/etc who may be interested in supporting youth wresting or hitting the links.
- Fall Session Registration: Fall session details are below and you can register at the CWC web-site.
o Youth (K-8):
§ Monday 19 Sept – Thurs 17 Nov
§ Mondays/Thursdays from 6-715pm
§ Cost $150 ($75 extra for siblings)
o High School (9-12):
§ Thurs 22 Sept – Thurs 27 Oct
§ Thursdays ONLY from 6-715 pm
§ Cost $100
§ NOTE: CWC will also be hosting Kickstarter Camps for HS wrestlers after 27 Oct, details will follow…
- New Scholastic Program Director: The CWC is lucky to have hired Tommy Mello to serve as the Scholastic Program Director. Tommy is a former Massachusetts State Champion and collegiate wrestler (Drexel). In this role he will serve to coordinate the scholastic instruction to harness the expertise of the UVa wrestlers/staff and our excellent cadre of volunteer coaches while ensuring there is continuity. He will be in charge of organizing competitions and will be the primary interface with parents. He will be following up with an email to introduce himself. Welcome Tommy!!!
- CWC Designated USA Wrestling Olympic Regional Training Center: The CWC has been designated as a USA Wrestling Olympic Regional Training Center; this effort will be led by Keith Gavin. This is a huge step for the UVa wresting program in that it distinguishes the program in the eyes of recruits and provides local World Team level competition for UVa athletes. What does this mean for the Scholastic Program? The resident athletes (Keith Gavin, Shelton Mack, Frank Perelli) will be actively participating in the CWC Scholastic Program, so your kids will literally be learning from some of the best in the WORLD!!!!
- New Website: Keep your eyes open for a revamped web-site (same URL), that will aim to enhance the flow of information and capture the synergistic dual mission (Olympic Regional Training Center and Scholastic Program) of the CWC.
- Parent Involvement: We will be engaging you all to gather feedback and to solicit volunteers to help us continue to improve the CWC. We will also be providing opportunities to financially support the CWC, through either linking your Kroger card to the CWC, supporting the golf tournament, business sponsorship of apparel, etc. We appreciate any level or means of contribution.
We look forward to seeing you on the links and on the mat this Fall!!!!
James T. Burns, Ph.D.
Center for Electrochemical Science and Engineering
Department of Materials Science and Engineering
University of Virginia
395 McCormick Dr.
Charlottesville, VA 22904-4745